Thursday, May 29, 2014

I Didn't Know I Was Going to Survive: Scuba Diving



When I was younger, I was pretty much comfortable with water, I loved swimming as a kid (in a pool). Snorkeling? Not as much. I used to loathe seeing fishes during our trip to the beach, but then I realized you won't really avoid them, so I avoid them. Crabs, fishes and even weird looking shells creeped me out back then. 

Nevertheless, I grew up and began to crave for adventure. And so I started out snorkeling, then my dad asked me if I was interested to take up Scuba Diving lessons. Scuba diving wasn't really new in our family. My mom and dad used to dive a lot, before I was born (circa 1995) and dove a few times a few years ago. When the question was presented to me, I immediately considered.

I never thought you actually had to take scuba diving lessons. I thought you just buy your gear, hop in a boat, and go straight down to the reefs. Boy, was I wrong. 

At first, going underwater wasn't as easy as it looked. You have to know principles of diving and it's rules, such as: a) never hold your breath, b) maintain neutral buoyancy (trust me, first day of dive class, I had to google what buoyancy meant) and a lot more.

But after classes and pool sessions (swimming pool, okay?), when you get to go to your check out dive (open water training), that's when it gets exciting… and a bit nerve wrecking.

They say, one of the golden rules of scuba is never hold your breath. When I saw the fishes, I CANT HELP BUT HOLD MY BREATH. I was so terrified, but then you hear a few lines from Finding Nemo at the back of your mind. Fish are friends, therefore we're friends, therefore they won't eat me. 

After our checkout dive, we had one more day trip to Anilao, Batangas, and had a legit dive. When I say legit, that means no classes are involved, no skills to be practiced. And, that is what the video is about, it was about my fun dive, last May 25!

So that concludes some of my dive lessons story. Hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed editing/making it!



I Didn't Know I Was Going to Survive:______ is a series that promotes being adventurous and trying out things you've always wanted to try (minus the slacking). Watch me fulfill a few things in my bucket list (or maybe something out of the blue) in every post with that as a title. 




No comments:

Post a Comment